It’s not news that any business that doesn’t take advantage of social media is severely missing out.  You can post on Pinterest, Twitter or any other social media site, but how do you get people to listen?  I recently came across an article that discusses what you social medianeed to get more mentions on social media.  There was a report published that analyzed one billion public company mentions, delivered to more than 200,000 clients across 145 countries from forums, news sites, Twitter, Facebook and even the deep web, coming from a wide range of industries.  Through this, there are four main tips.

Firstly, it’s important to know when you should be communicating.  Thursday typically sees the most company mentions (15.78%), closely followed by Tuesday (15.68%) and Wednesday (15.52%).  At 12.22% and 11.36% respectively, Saturday and Sunday had the lowest number of company mentions, which could present a great opportunity, considering that most companies don’t have a plan in place for social networks and other platforms over the weekend.  Therefore, you might want to plan ahead and develop a content strategy for sourcing and scheduling content throughout the workweek that will then be posted on Saturday and Sunday.  Since Thursday is the most crowded day when it comes to brands and companies being mentioned, don’t focus too much effort on a day when it’s hardest to be heard above the noise.

Generally, less than 10% your users have more than 500 followers.  The other 90% or so mentions could be coming from people with a smaller reach, but they’re still far in the majority and a powerful force of 1-to-1 connections.  If you simply answer a tweet in less than an hour (not just to tweets directed at you but tweets about your product), this could prompt people to tweet about your level of service and your product.  Speed, relevancy and charm could help make your product with a decent word-of-mouth viral.  Not only will the person who mentioned you appreciate the effort, but so will everybody else who finds out.

Twitter currently dominates with over 66% of all mentions relating to brands and their content, but that’s a good reason to develop a clear focus that includes other networks.  Indeed, each platform has its own strengths and weaknesses.  If you want to reach an audience that most people are overlooking, then you should combine services and create several slightly different brand voices for each one.  For instance, Instagram posts tend to be viewed and liked way more than Facebook posts.  By constantly posting and analyzing the results of emerging channels, you can identify opportunities like that one and take advantage of them.

It’s true that a solid majority (just under ⅔) of company mentions are in English, there’s still a good percentage of them occurring in other languages.  As the world gets smaller and smaller, a lot of people work and interact online in several different languages, sometimes all at once.  Never underestimate the importance of non-English mentions, particularly when it comes to your ROI.  You need to have a strategy for multilingual references to your brand on the web.  Even if you just send a “thank you” to anybody who mentions you, it can go a long way toward building the impression that your company is always around, and cares about its customers.  This is a great image to nurture at the core of your company’s culture.

Of course, improving online communications is a work in progress.  You’ll always learn more when you have the right data.  By simply putting in place the right strategy that fits with your users, and analyzing where they’re mentioning you the most, then you can quickly generate an important return on investment.